[muglo] Re: January meeting tonight

  • From: Dave Knight <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:42:55 -0500

On 2011-01-19, at 2:21 PM, rogers doug wrote:

> On 19-Jan-11, at 1:27 PM, Dave Knight wrote:
>
>> I don't think we _need_ to change anything on the web page other than it's
>> archaic content, but if others think that changing host is sensible I'd
>> certainly be happy to help out.
>
> Archaic. :-) The generation gap is showing. :-)

Perhaps I used the wrong word.

The links page has broken ones.
The sponsorship page... someone is sponsoring something?
The constitution... seems to be largely irrelevant.

Maybe obsolete would have been better.

> I, personally would prefer changing the host to a server that I can send iWeb
> pages to directly.

>  Right now this means I use my MobileMe web space.

If you're holding the webpage-updater baton you must surely do what works for
you.

> Presently, the first page of the present site remains at FreeWebs for a few
> reasons.
>
> 1) Other people, actually, others now not with us, had access.
>
> 2) I may be mistaken, or naive, but the URL was shorter than the one to my
> site space. That seems better.
>
> 3) I'm concerned about indexing. Does Google scrape Mobileme web pages?

Concerned because you fear it will, or won't get indexed?
Google scrapes all that is scrapable.

> 4) Moving the site exclusively to my MobileMe space precludes others from
> adding files or pages - an option at Google Sites. Google Sites is a big ugly
> URL.

We could have http://muglo.ca/ point at a Google group site, happy to go
register that and make it work...

> Is anyone other than me familiar with Blogs? ... just to bring up a
> discussion. On many levels, each blog post is like a message to our mailing
> list. Responses to the post go into a comment section below. You can
> subscribe to the entire blog as an RSS feed, or you can subscribe to
> individual posts - as an RSS feed. I cant see allowing 103 managers would be
> in anyway efficient, though.

A blog is a good way to publish something well structured that you expect to
refer to in future. It's no way to carry on a discussion. A blog makes sense
for a single editorial entity, an individual, or a company, but much less for a
group. In our case it would seem to make more sense for those who want to blog
to do so on their own blog and post links to the articles on the mail list.

For group collaboration the wiki model makes sense, and I think that the Google
groups stuff sort of gives you that in so much as you can allow all-comers to
add content.

dave---