[lit-ideas] Re: are we not talking anymore?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 05:07:39 -0700

Omar,
I appreciate your post. US media has a maddening habit of over-simplifying
conflicts, including this one. Ted Koppel pointed out some complexities
(such as Hezbollah's well-earned popularity) in a brief news report. He was
shut up quickly. A NYT story spoke of Israel's economic blockade of those
who elected Hamas, but that, too, was underplayed to the point of not being
known here, among the masses.

From what I read in the watered-down American-Jewish press, this strike is
Israel pulling out all the stops. American-Jewish papers (and rare but
occasional radio reports) play the Israeli bombings as Israel, in its last
gasp, saying "Never again." There may be some truth to this sentiment, but
it's mostly PR.

Guess it's time to read the UK papers and ignore the American ones.

Carol