[lit-ideas] Re: are we not talking anymore?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:39:11 EDT

"sane people"  --- oxymoron.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: are we not
talking anymore?  Date: 7/14/06 6:44:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ursula wrote:
(Interesting that you  mention
trains running on time -- everything runs when, and only when,  the
Israelis let it run).

That's true. Israel has developed into a  military power. The Palestinians
live next door. If you lived next door to a  great military power -- also a
great economic power -- who was interested in  peace, not war, would you
propel rockets across the border, kidnap soldiers  and have your children
blow themselves up in shopping malls and busy  restaurants?

Why? Is that to assert your desire for  self-determination?

It doesn't make sense if their purpose is to have an  independent nation, a
sovereign nation. After all, Israel has a big  influence over the economy.
Why not make friends with someone who can help  you, your friends, your
region grow and flourish?

Meanwhile their  children read disgusting things about Jews in their
textbooks, are  indoctrinated into seeing their neighbors hatefully, are
encouraged to blow  themselves up in crowded places,  buses on the way to
work,  restaurants, malls.

Granted, Israel could have been kinder. They haven't  reached out enough.
They are the more powerful of the two. When Palestinians  tunneled into
Israel to kill and kidnap, didn't they expect a response? Why  wouldn't they
expect that Israel -- like a wounded animal -- would strike  back, bring the
battle to their doorstep, disrupt their infrastructure. I  can't imagine what
life must be like in the desert in Gaza without water or  electricity in this
hot weather for a million-and-a-half  people.

Israel's response was predictable.

Is this the behavior of  sane people? Didn't Hamas know what Israel was
likely to do? Why encourage  that? This is the government that's there to
help the  Palestinians?

With a government like that, who needs  enemies?

Stan
Portland, ME