[lit-ideas] Re: are we not talking anymore?

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:46:45 -0400

What Israel (and I mean the government, not every

Israeli) has been and is doing to undermine any Palestinian efforts at economic or political self-sustainability is condemned by everyone except the US.

Ursula -
It's very nice of you to support the underdog. And the Palestinians make for a very nice underdog, don't they? There's a lot to feel for them about. They're suffering. It's easy to let your feelings get in the way.

Israel is attacked, but the Palestinians are the victims. That's an interesting equation. That's the equation that I've grown up with in my lifetime. Arafat was good at that, and now Hamas is trying to do that too.

The problem here is that Hamas was elected by the people. Hamas -- heretofore a terrorist organization -- is now in charge. As the government (not a terrorist organization), they're in charge of making life and the economy work for the Palestinians. See that the roads are safe, that trains get there on time.But as a terrorist organization that's not their purpose.

After all, Hamas has sabotaged all the effort Madmoud Abbas has put into negotiating with Israel. They were talking until this attack took place.

Rabbi Lerner is concerned because of Israel's disproportionate response to Hamas' attack. If I recall Powell's doctrine correctly, a disproportionate response is recommended as a way to discourage future attacks. When X is attacked, if you respond in proportion to the attack, I would expect the give-and-take to go on and on. Responding disproportionately shows the attacker you mean business.

Regarding your comment on Israel's undermining of the self-determination of the Palestinians, who left the Gaza strip asking for nothing in return? If self-determination was really something the Palestinians were motivated by, why would they provoke their neighbor into a fury when they were so close to developing workable relations? Peaceful relations were within reach.

Hamas is not interested in peaceful relations. And it's only with peaceful relations between the two that the Palestinian state can evolve and flourish. Don't tell me that Israel doesn't want that to happen. Shalom isn't just a word meaning "peace." It's used at every turn. When greeting and saying good bye. It's the golden thread that binds all Jewish and Israeli dreams. Peace is what Israel wants, not a crippled Palestinian state but a flourishing one.

Peace is also very possible -- and very achievable. But not with Hamas promoting terrorism -- with Hezbollah and Iran and Syria in the background.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>