[lit-ideas] Re: are we not talking anymore?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:14:28 -0700

On Jul 15, 2006, at 3:18 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

boring.... (except the collies)

now New York has an Eisteddfod!

http://www.folkmusicny.org/eisteddfod/

At which appears (chosen at random)

<x-tad-bigger>Enoch Kent</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>
is the gravelly voiced veteran of 50 years of Scottish, and some English, song, covering from the old ballads to the street songs to the songs of struggle for justice.

how boring indeed!

Clearly we should fight over who ought to sing about the struggle for justice. How typically Welsh, how typically Scottish! Meanwhile, the bastard English are doing their thing.

God, how great it is to have convenient enemies.

Well the Highland Games went off well. The caber toss, the climax, always surprises people. A person, a big person, with technique, can in fact lift a telephone pole, run with it and make it turn a hundred and eighty degrees. In the caber toss, one is not judged by distance thrown--as some people believe--but by how far from twelve o'clock the caber finally lands. Twelve o'clock is somehow the ideal, the spot that were there a deus ex machina, rather than mere muscles and sweat involved, the wood would salute and obey and lie down, like a soldier.

In an effort to be seen to be impartial and to follow the spirit of sportsmanship that we all love, the dance committee invited Canadian judges. Someone also invited Canadian dancers...who are, as I've mentioned, very good. And who won almost all the trophies.

I am done tallying. Eight hours of checking numbers is a view into what Monty Python called "the wide accountancy" that was necessary for the competition, but which makes me think there must be some larger accounting system in which quotidian and maybe marital scores are kept.

If there were responses to the poem and I missed them, sorry. I'll look again tomorrow.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

where the highland dance poem appeared (unbeknownst to be) in the program, and one lady pronounced herself "deeply moved"

who knew?