[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:44:38 EST

I turned my husband on to avocados when we married -- he had never tasted
them!  They're wonderful with lemon juice and salt.  Olives.....I  can't
convince him to like....I stock all sorts in my fridge -- oil-cured blacks  are
my
fav's, followed by kalamata, the all sorts of stuffed green -- stuffed  with
almond slivers are wonderful.  But then, I sit and eat boullion  cubes....  If
you cooked much, I'd give you my awesome recipe for home-made  from scratch
whole fresh chicken soup, heavily laced with ginger (good for the  sinuses) and
garlic.  (Robert, you want it?)

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The flu  Date:
11/24/04 7:25:09 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 9:33:46 PM, Andy  Amago wrote:

AA> A.A. I think you mean to say anti-histamine  properties.

I did

AA> A.A. I never heard of olives or  avocados for colds.  Sounds a bit
quacked up.

Nobody sold them to me  for colds. My thinking was as follows. A strong
immune system guards against  viral infection (I assume it also helps mitigate
its
effects, but I don't  actually know that; still, general good health mitigates
them -- I'd have  thought). So healthy foods will help out (etc.). I am sorry
not to have spelled  out my reasoning in full (not that it is spelled out in
full here, but perhaps  I've got it across better)

JE> Cod liver oil is good -- a doctor  here did a major study on
JE> it.  I like fatty fish but don't want  to eat it all the time so
JE> cod liver oil is useful.

AA> A.A. Cod liver oil is quite hazardous in that it's  loaded
AA> with retinol (Vitamin A).  Retinol, or preformed Vitamin  A, is
AA> markedly associated with loss of bone mass and increased rates  of
AA> fracture, it's unclear why.

It's *too much* cod liver oil  (too much Vitamin A, in the form of retinol)
that can increase the risk of  osteoporosis. I am not taking too much
(according to the usual  calculations).  I am theoretically very high risk for
osteoporosis, but my  bone scan results were fine.

If you notice, multi vitamin  pills
AA> are reducing the amount of retinol in their formulations for  this
AA> reason.

No I didn't notice but then I don't take  multivitamin pills usually (I try
to get everything through diet; the cod liver  oil is an exception, I take it
because of the finding that it is beneficial for  cartilage injury/loss).

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff,  UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx