[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Twofer

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 11:43:54 -0700

Very nice, but Sartre's involvement in the French Resistance was exaggerated
to an extreme degree by him.  Of course he wasn't the only one doing that.
Anyone with the slightest claim, making a café au lait for a true member of
the resistance for example, transformed it later on into an act of heroism.

I showed my newly-purchased copy of Being and Nothingness to a member of the
"American resistance" back in the 60s.  That is, he resisted everything we
were asked to do at McDonnell Douglas.  He engaged in all-things-left-wing
and/or liberal at the time.  He raised an eyebrow and suggested the book
wasn't entirely worthless.  He was quite sure it would make an excellent
door-stop.

Lawrence