[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 13:15:01 -0700

On Apr 1, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

> Very nice, but Sartre's involvement in the French Resistance was exaggerated
> to an extreme degree by him.  Of course he wasn't the only one doing that.
> Anyone with the slightest claim, making a café au lait for a true member of
> the resistance for example, transformed it later on into an act of heroism.

I wonder who exaggerated Sartre's involvement in the Resistance.  The north I
only know from secondary sources, particularly M.R.D. Foot, "SOE in France."
Since the Germans penetrated many Northern networks, the fact that Sartre
survived unscathed suggests limited involvement.

This author--not someone I know--claims that Sartre "was never a Resistance
hero and never claimed to be one.  In modest but accurate summary, Sartre later
said of himself: 'I was a resister, I met resisters, but it didn't cost me
much.'"

http://books.google.com/books?id=QtJWagYCAz0C&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=sartre+play+resistance&source=bl&ots=y8PLjqiE_E&sig=r1M1V8q7h3GrFDkepnrGUBkSVvA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=D7V4T_uDBIWgiAK_wsinDg&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=sartre%20play%20resistance&f=false

My subject was the Vercors.  I tried recently to watch a British t.v. series,
"Wish Me Luck."  Awful.  Blither.  Rubbish.  Threw the DVD box across the room.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon