[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:11:33 -0700

"If I should die think only this of me..."
Goodness that's an imperious imperial line; I mean what right have I to tell
you what to think of me?
Whatever you damn well choose.
Now the line should be, "Might I make a suggestion...
about post mortem arrangements?"
"If I should die...emote as you see fit, assemble some of my stuff into a
roadside memorial if the spirit so takes you, donate a few bucks to the charity
of your choice, sweat if you wish over the obit (knowing few will read it), if
chance and the boss allow pause in your busy day, if you come do wear something
comfortable to the funeral and by all means scribble whatever springs to mind
(with felt markers) all over the cheap pine coffin.  Club together (have a
whip-round) for a giant surplus something to recycle, a battleship perhaps?
Plant it somewhere amusing and incongruous.  Add a lei and a panama hat and I'm
done.  Sorted."

"Buggery."  I wonder what, if anything, William Safire may have written about
that in his language column; not the practice, but the power of the
exclamation.  "How was your week?" someone English asked.
"Un-di-lu-ted buggery.  Yours?"
That was the week that was.
Some while back.

David Ritchie,