[lit-ideas] Palæo-Griceianism, De-Extinct

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:06:19 -0400 (EDT)

KEYWORD: de-extinction

Experts in bioengineering, zoologists, ethicists and conservationists
recently met in Washington, DC for a public forum on "de-extinction."

In a message dated 4/14/2013 8:18:55 A.M. UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes in "Re: will they darken the skies once  more?"

Like the passenger pigeon, the Logical Positivist when de-extincted  might
face issues over parental control and assistance, but my suspicion is that
their putative father, David Hume, never actually cared that much for them

If I may introduce a topic of my liking, there's also Neo-Kantianism  (and
for that matter, neo-Gr*ceans. It was my idea for a while that the use of
"neo-", in neo-Kantianism (or 'neo-Gr*cean') implicated that Kantianism was
extinct. For that reason, I would freely use expressions  like

"palaeo-Kantianism"

(or "palaeo-Gr*cean") to refer to the  views of the _old_ allegedly extinct
Kant (or Gr*ce).

----

I  actually think that the verb, 'de-extinct' is an interesting one for
logical  analysis.

Suppose we call a passenger pigeon an 'x'. McEvoy will use  temporal
subscripts (or indexes) here, and say,

""Ectopistes migratorius"  is flying" in time t1<tn

where t1 is a time predating "tn" or  'now'.

Now, the idea that the 'ectopistes migratorius' is _extinct_ then  requires
a mere statement of contingent fact to the effect that no Ectopistes
migratorius flies today.

Note that in the metaphorical use that McEvoy gives to 'de-extinct' the
logical formulae are different.

And so on.

Cheers,

Speranza

I have changed the subject line to a different expression.