[lit-ideas] Sunday Poem

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:16:25 -0500

WHY I HATE MYSELF
> When mosquitos fly in the Sierras
-- David Ritchie

It is with great pleasure and moral clarity
that I kill mosquitoes on me.  I refuse to be
their free lunch even if that stance is Republican.

"These mos-SKEET-toes",
as my friend used to say,
"prove that capitalism is insectual."

But he's dead now,
my friend.
So too are all his dreams of a Really, Really Great Society.
But really,
how many people would ever be willing
to forgo a free-lunch-tax-break?

You might say, Hey!
It's the poor and the working stiffs who pay everyday for the brunches and lunches and midnight munches
of the write-off class.
And indeed, by every creed I know, they've been written off.

Well then, why didn't they vote -- huh?
those tens of millions of poor and working stiffs?
They have the numbers if only they'd vote,
take control and oust the demons all, Why didn't they vote? Huh?
Because they're stupid motherfuckers -- OK?
They're so stupid they actually admire their exploiters. That's why.
No way around it. The poor love and admire the rich. And want to be just them -- even if it means becoming just like them.
God how I hate the poor -- hate them more even than the rich. Sometimes.

Mike Geary Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ritchie" <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>