[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:12:07 EDT

I'm so glad I'm not the only one up at 4 in the morning on Sunday (doing
laundry and making coffee) -- where is everyone else??

And why, btw, is the internet the prime place for insomniacs?  What  did they
do before?

Your piece is gorgeous.  It reminds me a little of Dillard and a  little of
Sexton ...Rowing Toward God

Julie Krueger
finding peace only in poetry and music that shakes the walls these  days

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem  Date:
7/3/05 3:13:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'd like to know what happened to the oak box that  used to sit on the piano.
It smelled of church.  This is because it was  made of a beam which had
served as a straker in a naval sailing ship, and  then was recycled to
support the roof of some small chapel, before being  turned and made into a
vessel.  I used to sniff it when I wanted to  recall how English churches
smell.  One quick whiff, I'd be  wafted.

I met god once, you know.  Surfing a kayak off the coast of  Cornwall, I
started rides further out than the board guys and thundering  through their
take-off point.  Suddenly, there he was, walking on water,  unavoidable.  I
rolled to avoid him but BOOM, my boat hit his board,  nose on, full force.

I paddled back, profuse in my apologies.
"Call me  Charlie," he said.  "I am the Lord thy... etc," the full paragraph.
He  gave it plenty, floating gently, swelling like a hymn.

David  Ritchie
Portland,  Oregon