[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:00:18 -0700

My love lured into the garden; a romance of the middle ages.

The season of stuff stuffing up our gutters is done.
Moss and slime are in decline, dying but not yet gone.
The testing time for our shoots now approaches,
but foxgloves and spanish lavender thrive when the temperature rises,
so when we step out,
they will have bloomed, be thick with the sweet promise of orange bees.
You'll find the ground has now gone hard.
Last week, after the east wind,
which dries clay quicker than washing,
I tested the sod with a spade.
Ha!  No chance of our house settling soon.

So we are a packet still far from shore,
making a good knot or five,
not high, not dry,
both firm and sound.
In another season we may be bunkered in by heat,
or cowering under sheets
of rain,
or frail or, who can say,
painting scenes in the forest back?
So come with me now into our earthy delight
to sit under the Russian olive.
Cock an ear with me,
bring some fine hot tea,
let's fiddle a while with our rings,
chat,
anticipate what tunes peonies can bring.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon