[lit-ideas] Re: Song of Myself

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:27:51 -0400

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"In short, your complaint about my imprecise application of the terms
Leftism & Pacifism is in my opinion a response to the imprecise
statements coming from said Leftists and Pacifists."

My post was in regard to posting under a pseudonym, not 'The Problem
with Leftists and Pacifists'.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Lawrence continued:

"[Austin Meredith] like you, if I recall correctly isn?t an utter
pacifist.  There are certain situations that would cause you & he to
support a war."

My pacifism is theologically grounded and, in this sense, absolute.  In
absolute terms, there is no good use of violence.  However, the state
exists because of violence and continues to exist through the proper
exercise of violence.  Under these conditions, I understand why a state
like the U.S. might justifiably use violence.  This use of violence is
not good but it might be justifiable.  Perhaps too fine a distinction,
but I nevertheless think it an important distinction to make.  Also,
this point is off-topic but I wanted to make clear that I don't support
any war.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON