[lit-ideas] Re: Song of Myself

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:24:02 +0100

More monocausal (and indeed monocasual)explanation

LH> We didn't create the Militant Islamic attacks against us.  They
LH> were not inspired by anything the US had done.  They were
LH> inspired by an Islamic ideology which is aggressive and tyrannical.

First, at least you didn't say "caused" by an ideology.  Second, but
if you don't say that, if you opt for "inspired", you can't rule out
US/UK foreign policy, and other factors, being "inspirations"
for the attacks.  Much evidence for their being a primary
factor is contained in the work of Richard Pape (cited and
quoted on this list).

"Ideologies" are just that.  Systems of ideas.  Why do some people
adopt them?  Why do some born into them, renounce them and
even rebel against them?

(More if required... but it may take the form of a Sociology of
Revolution bibliography.)

 LH>The best estimate, in fact the only estimate, I have seen is
LH> that 30% of the Arabs (not all of Islam -- just the Arabs)
LH>are Militant Islamist

Well at least you now acknowledge that not all Muslims are
Arab (and not all Arabs, Muslim).  But, have you a cite for
your "best estimate"?

LH>I have over the years spent an enormous amount of time
LH>in and around Leftism so I am very familiar with its tenets

I think you mean that some decades ago, you knew some US Old
Leftists.  On that basis, you've constructed oddities.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK