[lit-ideas] Re: Mike -- Not Real Astute

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:13:14 +0100

LH>France is voting in a conservative

to replace a conservative (actually Sarcozy's not a conservative,
but my point
holds)

as for Blair, well, 1. he'd already announced he'd be stepping
down, Gordon Brown's taking over 2. in Wales
(Welsh Assembly elections) Labour lost votes to Plaid Cymru and
the Conservatives
(the Lib Dems did poorly, really, and in my seat, lost votes to
Labour), 3. in the North of England, Labour held on/the
Conservatives didn't do that well.  I doubt that in Scotland
(which was as close as Bush/Gore and came with hanging chads...,
there may be 3 separate
legal challenges) Iraq was the key issue.  (In Wales, there was
considerable unhappiness
with the Welsh Assembly Labour regime for reasons not connected
to Blair -- who is otoh not
particularly well liked in Wales -- and I'd say the vote had to
do with that. But then of course
I saw the campaign.)

(This is a reply to you and to Andreas)