[lit-ideas] Re: Mike -- Not Real Astute

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 14:47:57 -0700

Lawrence wrote

I was hoping Mike would respond. I believe he was one of those who was outraged that the U.S. would infringe suspected terrorists first amendment rights by tapping their phones. I was hoping to ask him why he was outraged over the infringement of the First Amendment Right but not over the infringement of the Second.

I believe you mean the Fourth Amendment, not the First.

'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

The issue is not whether "suspected terrorists'" phones may be tapped; it's whether anyone's phone may be tapped _without a warrant_, citizen or non-citizen. It is silly to phrase the issue as one of whether or not phones may be tapped--this has always been possible--it is whether warrantless wiretaps are allowed anytime the President sees fit.

The First Amendment, of course, concerns freedom of expression, and the freedom to exercise one's religion.

Robert Paul
adding to the noise.