[lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Side Effect of Drinking Coffee

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:02:43 -0400

Calcium antagonists, also known as calcium channel blockers (CCBs). These
medications help relax the muscles of blood vessels. Some slow your heart rate.
A word of caution, though: If you take certain calcium antagonists, don't eat
grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice interacts with some
calcium antagonists, causing blood levels of the medication to rise and putting
you at a higher risk of side effects from the drug. This action of the juice
may persist for 24 hours. If you're concerned about interactions, talk to your
doctor or pharmacist.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00100.html

I never heard anything about psychotropics.  (IMO psychotropics are a waste of
time anyway.)  For the record, I don't have high blood pressure (quite low
actually) and don't take any drugs.  Calcium channel blockers (described in the
above paragraph) are thought to be no better than diuretics, with more side
effects and they're significantly more expensive.  When I did my nutrition
coursework I realized how complicated blood pressure is.  It's regulated by
several hormones, starts in the brain and goes to the kidneys (a testimonial to
the mind/body connection).  That's why I think lifestyle is the answer (fruits,
vegetables, vegetable protein, as little salt as possible and exercise) and let
the body stabilize itself; it almost always will if given the chance, with
drugs are a last resort.  But, lower blood pressure with drugs is better than
higher blood pressure without drugs.  There's also a link in the above site
that talks about caffeine and high blood pressure:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00792

Date:6/13/06 12:06:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time
From:sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

Kidney stones aren't bizarre, they're bloody painful. Mind you I was
drinking up to ten extremely strong mugs of Nescafe every day.

I now content myself with a single medium latte once or twice a week when I
have lunch in Tavistock. Much more refined and I get served in the process.

Other than that, I drink tea and lots of it.

Simon