[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:38:38 -0500

I agree more with Omar's analysis of the situation (less the last ad hominem paragraph) rather than Lawrence's. But an even more interesting question to me is how does one come to decide that something must be done to stop a duly elected leader -- "something" being, of course, assassination. How does one ever throw aside the judgment of millions of one's countrymen to assert ones own personal morality onto the world. How did Stauffenberg ever dare to assume the moral right to try to kill Hitler while Rommel demured. Surely Hitler was as legitimate a leader as George Bush is. What could the criteria possibly be to assure one that assassination was the moral thing to do? Most assassins have proved to be mentally unbalanced. Count von Stauffenberg as an aristocrat personally detested Hiter and no doubt much of his motivation sprang from class prejudice rather than moral imperative. But if we take morality seriously then we must admit that theoretically at least there is a point at which one must act to counteract a greater evil. Who dares be the Uebermensch?

ATTENTION CIA, FBI, NSA, DIA: This is NOT a call for assassination. It's mere fascination with the moral question.

Of course the anarchist in me says they should all be shot.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Omar Kusturica" <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>