[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:16:44 -0700

The association of the American Left with Radical Islam has been
demonstrated by a number of writers. They have speculated about why this is
the case.  Read for example, Unholy Alliance, Radical Islam and the American
Left by David Horowitz.

This Anti-Americanism is consistent with its European cousin.  Read
Jean-Francois Revel's Anti-Americanism, Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept,
How Radical Islam is destroying the west from within, Claire Berlinski's
Menace in Europe, why the continent's Crisis is America's too, Jonathan
Fenby's France on the Brink, a Great Civilization Faces the New Century.

There has been so much written on this, I must believe it is common
knowledge.  Leftist writers and Islamists use the same anti-American
arguments.  They borrow from each other.  They support each other's causes.

Way back after 9/11, before Bush did anything, I hoped he was going to have
the guts to oppose the Islamists, but I had my doubts.  I voiced them on
whatever discussion group I was in at the time - Bush had no experience.
His platform didn't include anything that was remotely warlike.  Since then
he has conducted the war against the Islamists in a creditable fashion.
Critics are entitled to argue that Bush used too few troops and didn't do
this or that right in regard to managing the war, but Leftists and Islamists
argue that the Islamists are right and America is wrong.  Whatever America
does is for some underhanded reason.  We want to get Iraqi oil.  We want to
prop up thugs here and there.  We want to advance our empire.  The list goes
on and on.  Read speeches by Ward Churchill and Osama bin Laden to enlarge
the list.

You haven't written enough for me to know which category you are in.  Are
you in the loyal opposition like Joe Lieberman?  Do you think someone like
Kerry could have done a better job of conducting the war?  Fine.  But the
Leftists I'm describing believe America should be defeated by the Islamists.
It believes that it deserved to have its world trade center destroyed on
9/11.  Such Leftists have declared common cause with the Radical Islamists.

Lawrence

  _____