[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:55:48 -0400

LH: "The association of the American Left with Radical Islam has been
demonstrated by a number of writers. They have speculated about why this is the
case.  Read for example, Unholy Alliance, Radical Islam and the American Left
by David Horowitz."

Lawrence, your idea of the American Left comes from ideologically right-wing
extremists. They write from an ideological point of view. What David Horowitz
thinks is what David Horowitz thinks. You're confusing what he thinks the
American Left is with what the American Left is. Calling Lieberman the "loyal
opposition" suggests that people who don't support Bush aren't loyal. And
identifying Bush with "America" distorts everything.

 Bush isn't America. Bush heads the government as the result of an election
that barely half of the people elected. The other half of us don't feel
represented by him, his decisions, his lies, his misrepresentations. You're
calling nearly half of America, people who didn't want this man to be
re-elected, disloyal. There's probably much more now than half -- given his
approval ratings.

Your voracious reading has made you into a Frankenstein.

How about reading what liberal Democrats think by reading what they write
instead of reading what the David Horowitzes think the Democrats think. Go to
the source. Read The Nation as well as National Review. Read The New Republic
as well as the Weekly Spectator. Read Molly Ivins as well as Bill Kristol. You
might be surprised.

You're looking at only one side of the equation.

Stan Spiegel

Portland, ME