[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:36:52 +0100 (BST)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 One of Hitler's
> errors was to assume that Britain was relying upon
> the USSR for aid.
> "Hitler concluded that the only way to overcome
> Britain would be to destroy
> the Soviet Union.

A terrible error, yes. Because he could not destroy
the USSR.  The Russian people, army and civilians,
fought him like tigers. The defenders of Leningrad
resisted, fought, while starving; from 1941 to 1944,
till the Red Army finally beat the invaders off.  In
those three years, between 670,000 and 1,000,000 of
the people of Leningrad and its environs died of
starvation and exposure.  (During WWII, 11,200 US
civilians died.)

You jerk.

Judy Evans, Cardiff