[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:55:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope I would have been standing with Paul Tillich
> who, already in
> 1932, was proscribed by the Nazis for publicly
> criticising the violence
> against Jewish students.  I don't know if I would
> have been astute
> enough to recognize all the dangers of Hitler's
> fascism, but it would be
> impossible to miss the violence.

*Did you miss the US violence in Iraq and elsewhere,
or did you find it in yourself to justify it ? I doubt
that either answer would disqualify you from being a
Hitler supporter if you had been living in Germany at
the time. Better minds than yours, like Heidegger,
did.

> And from what I have read, Omar isn't opposed to
> war, just wars waged
> against sides for which he has sympathy.

*I never said I was opposed to war in principle.
Neither are you. The difference between us is that one
honestly admits his sympathies while still making some
attempt to think objectively on occasion, while the
other assumes the style and tone of a country parish
priest.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com