[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:52:56 -0400

Omar Kusturica wrote:

"Did you miss the US violence in Iraq and elsewhere, or did you find it
in yourself to justify it?"

The violence used by the US and Iraqi governments to establish the rule
of law in Iraq can be justified.  The violence used, outside the
establishment of the rule of law, by US soldiers on innocent civilians
or prisoners can't be justified.  Not really that complicated, unless
one believes in violence for the sake of ideological goals.

Omar continues:

"I never said I was opposed to war in principle.  Neither are you."

I am opposed to all war on principle, but for theological reasons.  I
understand why some wars might nevertheless be justified.

Omar concludes:

"The difference between us is that one honestly admits his sympathies
while still making some attempt to think objectively on occasion ..."

Well, at least you make the attempt.  I suppose that is worth something.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON