[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:47:02 -0400

Exactly right, Eric. In the midst of the worst repression, depression, whatever, there is celebration of life. That's why we're still here. Defeatism gets bred out. Optimism is what gets us from one day to the next. Feeling overwhelmed? Just wiggle your elbow a bit and breathe in the space you just created.
Ursula, exulting in the northern ontario wind and weather...

Eric Yost wrote:

Andy: If, against all the evidence, you think society celebrates life, then that's what you think. I'm just
curious, why do you think there is crime, etc. in the world? Intelligent Design? Malignant Design? Bad choices? Not enough torture?

My point is that society, any society, but particularly American society, is more varied and rich than any idea we can have about it. Sure there's the mercantile stuff and all the other shenanigans of this or any Gilded Age. There's also life being celebrated.

Go to a public park. Sit on a bench for 45 minutes and watch the people. Bet you catch some celebrations of life. Catch 'em in the act you will.