[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:46:14 -0700

I know none of us on Lit-Ideas is manic depressive but you sure sound like
you're in a down phase, or as you seem to suggest, terminal-down.  Now if
you had a manic phase to look forward to things would be a lot better.  As
for me I was on the internet checking out motorcycles right before I saw
your message.  My son was just over with his brand new Honda ST1300 and I'm
feeling a bit envious. Of course I don't have all those negative things you
describe -- except for gray hair.  I must be a lot younger than you - barely
72 this coming October.  Now that "remorseless headlong plunge" you describe
kind of excites me -- reminds me of some of the winding mountain roads I
used to ride.  My son's ST1300 has a 7.7 gallon gas tank and will get
between 45 and 50 mpg once it's broken in.  And the bottom line price with
tax, license, etc. was about $17,500.  On the other hand, a BMW with a
smaller gas tank would get better mileage.  Of course one of them might cost
$23,000 out the door.  Of course I'd have to make room in my garage . . .

On the other hand I may just trade in my Jeep Liberty in a couple of years
for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited -- and then in case my brain ever "becomes
less acute" I could train one of my dogs to help me find the way home.

Lawrence