[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:56:16 -0500

But, Andy, I don't understand. If you're so miserable, why don't you kill yourself?

Mike Geary Life is not what you make of it, life is how you partake of it. Celebrate.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 9/27/2006 7:27:34 PM

Andy: If, against all the evidence, you think society
celebrates life, then that's what you think.  I'm just
curious, why do you think  there is crime, etc. in the
world?  Intelligent Design?  Malignant Design?  Bad choices?
   Not enough torture?

My point is that society, any society, but particularly American society, is more varied and rich than any idea we can have about it. Sure there's the mercantile stuff and all the other shenanigans of this or any Gilded Age. There's also life being celebrated.

Makes one wonder why the Axis of Evil and why the right wing was so adrift
after the fall of the Soviet Union, with no enemy to pursue. If life is so
celebrated, why are we so hung up on youth? Perhaps you'd like to rephrase
your statement that a third to a half of life is celebrated? The black
balloons start with the 30th birthday. What do black balloons celebrate?
Life is theoretically celebrated. We all love life, until our actions and
words demonstrate that we really don't. There are always exceptions of
course, if that's what you want to cite.

Go to a public park. Sit on a bench for 45 minutes and watch
the people. Bet you catch some celebrations of life. Catch
'em in the act you will.

Kind of reminds me of all the discussions about the futility of the Iraq
invasion and the Pollyanna assertions that everything was fine, when it's
finally official that everything is not fine.  The bottom line is, humans
are unconsciously driven.  To assert otherwise makes no sense, unless one
is religious or doesn't believe in the unconscious for some reason.  But,
in these New Middle Ages, every backwards thing is possible and is
happening.