[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:28:39 -0700

> A.A. You're not mean.  You just don't want to believe that if you
> can't see it, it's still there.  I can't imagine what people like
> Louis Pasteur went through when they first discovered that something
> invisible can wreak havoc.  Louis Pasteur I am not.  I'm more like
> Galileo, I recant, the world really is flat ...

If Galileo recanted anything it was his claim that the earth revolved
around the sun and not the other way about. It was the widow Cliquot who
decanted her view that the champagne was flat. She narrowly escaped being
guillotined. 'L'affair Cliquot' was one of the main causes of the Hundred Years
War, which in current high school texts has been shortened to the Thirty Years
War in order to save expenses.

Robert Paul