[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:31:59 -0700

On Sep 28, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

It was the widow Cliquot who
decanted her view that the champagne was flat. She narrowly escaped being
guillotined. 'L'affair Cliquot' was one of the main causes of the Hundred Years
War, which in current high school texts has been shortened to the Thirty Years
War in order to save expenses.

But, paradoxically, due to pressure from accrediting bodies and educational theorists, syllabus outcomes were increased exponentially and, as a result, people began once again "using literary features that are used as artistic devises."

With consequences.

Your captain is please to announce that we have returned to where I started. Please remain seated with your seat belts fastened until we come to a full and complete stop.

You may now de-plane and re-view the world. Thank you for flying Aaaaaargh.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon