[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:19:20 -0700

Back to school night was the entertainment fare yester eve. Job one: find a parking space. All the high school fields are used by little and other leagues so in addition to the cars of two thousand parents, there were also the cars of however many folk it took to populate the fields and the cars of however many cheerleaders, flag chuckers and band people...well, you take the point. I ended up parking in an illegal spot that was not specifically signposted as such. A fine ethical line that would worry a Roman.

Then it was on to ten minutes with each teacher with a six minute walk between each classroom. This year's new school rule--there's a new and very young headmaster-- is that those students who fail to get both feet inside the classroom door when the ding dong goes off will suffer immediate lunch detention. Yesterday they had a hundred and twenty people in lunch detention. One of Emily's friends was caught last week, trying to get from one class to another; she diverted to return a library book and didn't quite make it through the doorway. If I were in school I'd organize some kind of Gandhi-inspired push back, a mass hallway sit-in or something.

What did I learn? Outcomes are now all. Literature it seems is full of things which can be identified and put on a learning outcomes continuum. I shall type this carefully to avoid introducing extra errors. "During the students participation in this two year period of study, they will demonstrate their growth in content expertise along a progression of learning continuums for the Core Learning Outcomes of IB Language A1. In adition, students will evaluate their progress on a continuum of Core Behavioral Outcomes that seek to reflect a correlation between student behaviors and learning. The Continuums represent a progression from novice (1) to expert (6). It is expected that each student will reach a proficient level on each of the outcomes."

And what are these outcomes? I have trimmed some of them, but not otherwise interfered with the text.

1) Literary Features. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of the use of literary features that are used by authors as artistic devises and used by readers as a means to analyze and evaluate works...Progression will move from Novice to Expert.

2) Focus on the Means (How) Students will demonstrate their ability to focus on the means that authors use to convey their ideas. Progression will move from...

3) Detailed Understanding of the Text. Students will demonstrate their ability to express a detail understanding of text throughout the curriculum. Progression etc.

4) Analysis and Commentary. Through the application of the three outcomes described above, the student will demonstrate their ability to analyze, compare and evaluate various works of literature.

5) Appreciation of the Art of Literature.

Behavioral Outcomes

1) Quality of work.
The student will consistently demonstrate care and concern to the quality of their written and oral work. This should include a neat, clean presentation, consistent attention to proper formatting, and the accurate use and recording of citations.

2) Classroom Citizenship
Novice: an ability to appear in class with minimal participation
Expert: An ability to interact with peers and teachers in a meaningful and positive way to enhance self and other's learning experiences.

3) Timeliness
The student will demonstrate an ability to manage time.

There follows a footnote. "Thanks to J.S. for the use of the Behavioral Outcomes."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon