[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:01:30 -0800 (PST)

Stephan Assmus wrote:

> Well, I read that article, but I also read the previous article in
> which he
> *simplified* 14 ways to shutdown Windows into a single option. Both
> articles
> seem to contradict each other.

You make a very good point here. Sometimes Joel can have some
interesting insights, but I do not look upon him as many others do as
some mega-guru. In fact I hear his flagship application, FogBugz, isn't
particularly great.

Anyhow I have to agree with you that this article doesn't make a very
good argument. He seems to imply that simplicity implies lack of
features (which can be the case sometimes) but the ideal is something
that is both full of useful features yet still simple to use, for at
least the simple thing. The problem with software with too many
features is that in many cases the simple thing becomes hard to do
because all the other "needed" features get in the way. This is the
problem with many Linux applications, in my opinion, and even as a long
-time computer user and developer I am sometimes shocked and dismayed
by a configuration dialog with multiple pages of complex controls (*
cough*VLC*cough*.)

I think what you are describing of combining multiple flexible small
apps into larger workflows is sort of the Holy Grail that many people
have been striving for. There have various advances (mostly on Mac OS X
it seems), but I don't think anyone has really nailed it yet. If
anything the BeOS philosophy that we are continuing in Haiku has
probably the best chance of really achieving this goal.

Ryan