[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:57:34 +0100

Am 12.12.2006 um 15:27 schrieb Mikael Jansson:

"The Hummer is aesthetically appealing precisely because it's ugly
and complicated."

I was referring to 20/80 rule, but it's seldom the same 20% users use.

Actually I'm not sure that even that is true. The 80/20 is *generally* applicable but software developers are *seldomly* users of their own software. However, the big issue is still not which features to have but how to implement and expose them: the oft talked about but seldom correctly done "usable default".

Adding full text indexing and thus searching for plain text files to queries in BeOS is technically relatively easy and without a huge overhead in my opinion and was probably something Be just never got round to doing along with some form of indexing for none-BFS partitions. I know that the absence of this feature has probably me as much annoyance as anything else "missing" on BeOS and the Opera mail client shows both how fast this can run.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20