[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:43:39 +0100 (MET)

"Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree although those features could be helpful, in an OS as well
> designed
> as BeOS and subsequently Haiku we simply don't need them. The key in
> my
> opinion to an efficient OS is to have it built around  a self
> contained
> streamlined core, unlike windows which more or less is a bunch or
> services
> and process bundled together. The problems with windows are so
> frequent and
> deep that there is now way to fix them, you would need to start from
> the
> ground up and redesign it.

Your wrong here. The Windows kernel and services are well designed, and
very well done, too. The kernel is much closer to BeOS in design than
to any (traditional) Unix. It's just that Windows as a whole is too
complex, and carries too much legacy around. It's a bloated mess.
But don't make the mistake of underestimating their technology - there
are hords of bright minds at Microsoft, and it shows when you're
looking for evidence. Unfortunately (for them and their users :-)), it
still doesn't help a lot to make Windows a good OS to use.

Bye,
   Axel.