[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:33:37 +0100 (MET)

Mikael Jansson <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The SuperFetch feature compensates for bad memory usage and for all
> > the
> > stupid memory eating background apps that Windows needs to keep
> > functioning (virus scanning, defragmenting, etc.)
> It's also about using hybrid ram/disk drives, which seems to me like
> good thing -- prefetch stuff into the RAM drive and you'll have
> snappier
> app startup, _plus_ lower power consumption (if you're on a laptop,
> say).
>
> Don't diss everything just because it's used at Microsoft...

Indeed. Even though I find using memory sticks as a cache ridiculuous,
having and using the new built-in flash drives is a neat thing. In
fact, I've developed a boot speedup module for Haiku that works similar
to one aspect of SuperFetch - and it will be extended to go more into
that direction, too. It's in the Haiku SVN repository, but it currently
won't be used (it's not complete yet, but it's working and already has
a measurable and noticeable effect on the boot time).

Just because we don't need that stuff as urgently as Windows does, it
doesn't mean it's bad. It will solve problems like the long startup
times from Firefox, for example, or possibly OpenOffice in the future.

Bye,
   Axel.