[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: "Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:49:41 -0500

I feel that you are reading my statement wrong. Windows HAS become a bloated
mess, and i was agreeing with you. the problem i find with windows is the
over abundance of redundant services that it must use now for various
reasons. and yes it is full of holes, i may not be as good a programmer as
many of you but i do know what I'm talking about when it comes to net
security. IE is just too insecure, and windows for better or for worse
leaves the average user to much freedom to do dangerous things to the OS and
subsequently the computer. You don't see that in Unix. I am not dissing
windows either, i use windows much more often than the other OS's and i am
very happy with it, i am simply marking its weaknesses.

On 12/11/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree although those features could be helpful, in an OS as well
> designed
> as BeOS and subsequently Haiku we simply don't need them. The key in
> my
> opinion to an efficient OS is to have it built around  a self
> contained
> streamlined core, unlike windows which more or less is a bunch or
> services
> and process bundled together. The problems with windows are so
> frequent and
> deep that there is now way to fix them, you would need to start from
> the
> ground up and redesign it.

Your wrong here. The Windows kernel and services are well designed, and
very well done, too. The kernel is much closer to BeOS in design than
to any (traditional) Unix. It's just that Windows as a whole is too
complex, and carries too much legacy around. It's a bloated mess.
But don't make the mistake of underestimating their technology - there
are hords of bright minds at Microsoft, and it shows when you're
looking for evidence. Unfortunately (for them and their users :-)), it
still doesn't help a lot to make Windows a good OS to use.

Bye,
   Axel.

--
Matthew White, Head of computers for the less fortunate.