[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:17:47 +0100 CET

> > swapping on flash ?? really the last thing you want.
> > flash memory has a very low maximum number of write cycles before
> > failure, swapping or caching on them is a very bad idea. sleeping
> > means
> > much less changes, so it's probably ok.
>
> Vista doesn't use it for sleeping - because you could remove/replace
> the stick while the system is powered down; it can't trust it.

Well you can also unplug when it's running, so caching isn't really
better...

> > installed base, so if the drive head doesn't screw up Vista
> > swapping
> > the flash makes sure the drive dies after a year and you buy
> > another
> > one ?
>
> Exactly! :-)
> Your usual laptop won't live that long anyway ;-)

Right, the throw-away cultural model.

> Seriously, though, that was also my first thought when I heard of
> that
> feature - I didn't look into it yet, but I'd be interested if there
> were any changes to allow more write cycles.

Last I checked it was between 10000 to 10^6 write cycles, that's quite
small.
Current flash technologies include remapping system to spread the
changes by changing the actual sector mapping, so for ex an fs which
would always update the superblock won't trash the first block of flash
as it would be actually a different one over time.
Compact-flash cards require a specific block device driver (embedded
linux systems for ex require proprietary code to be licenced to support
them, but some have been REed).
It seems current USB keys have them transparently onboard.

François.