[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:14:02 +1300

On 2006-12-11 at 13:01:23 [+1300], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> This is slightly off-topic, but I think it is interesting enough to
> warrant posting here.
>
> I was browsing OSNews.com and someone mentioned some new feature of
> Windows Vista called SuperFetch, so I Googled it. The top result
> described it and other Vista "performance enhancements":
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/performance.mspx
>
> As I read this page I couldn't help but start laughing because all
> these features are essentially kludges to compensate for the overall
> inefficiency of Windows.
>
> The Sleep feature compensates for ridiculous boot times.
>
> The SuperFetch feature compensates for bad memory usage and for all the
> stupid memory eating background apps that Windows needs to keep
> functioning (virus scanning, defragmenting, etc.)
>
> The ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive features compensate for ridiculous memory
> usage and general inefficiency.
>
> In my opinion BeOS R5 and certainly Haiku just don't need features of
> this nature (though sleep might be handy.) This is one of many reasons
> why I do what I can developing Haiku and why I intend to make it my
> future primary OS.

I feel your pain, but it doesn't stop there. I see my girlfriend suffering
from bad software, and my mom even more and whoever else around me just
trying to use a computer to get work done. Once Haiku is usable, I want to
return to application programming, and great tools for a great os.

Best regards,
-Stephan