[openbeos] Re: Windows Vista Performance Kludges (that Haiku does not need)

  • From: "Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:48:29 -0800

I agree although those features could be helpful, in an OS as well designed
as BeOS and subsequently Haiku we simply don't need them. The key in my
opinion to an efficient OS is to have it built around  a self contained
streamlined core, unlike windows which more or less is a bunch or services
and process bundled together. The problems with windows are so frequent and
deep that there is now way to fix them, you would need to start from the
ground up and redesign it.

On 2006-12-11 at 13:01:23 [+1300], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/performance.mspx

> As I read this page I couldn't help but start laughing because all
> these features are essentially kludges to compensate for the overall
> inefficiency of Windows.
>
> The Sleep feature compensates for ridiculous boot times.
>
> The SuperFetch feature compensates for bad memory usage and for all the
> stupid memory eating background apps that Windows needs to keep
> functioning (virus scanning, defragmenting, etc.)
>
> The ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive features compensate for ridiculous memory
> usage and general inefficiency.
>
> In my opinion BeOS R5 and certainly Haiku just don't need features of
> this nature (though sleep might be handy.) This is one of many reasons
> why I do what I can developing Haiku and why I intend to make it my
> future primary OS.

I feel your pain, but it doesn't stop there. I see my girlfriend suffering
from bad software, and my mom even more and whoever else around me just
trying to use a computer to get work done. Once Haiku is usable, I want to
return to application programming, and great tools for a great os.

Best regards,
-Stephan

--
Matthew White, Head of computers for the less fortunate.