[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:06:47 -0700

Howdy,

Karl vom Dorff wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Jorge G. Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Can we please now go back to discussing the specifics of the
    package itself? :)

Sure.

If you have mp3 files and people files with attributes in a zip file (for example), it probably won't do any good unless people can read about how you can take advantage of Haiku's file system to manipulate these files.

This is not an issue, as this is a package intended for existing Haiku users (more on that below), so you obviously will need Haiku in some form (on bare metal or a VM).

While I understand you may use this package in live demonstrations, you may also have it as an optional package that anyone can download.

Anyone will be able to download it, but not everyone will be able to use it. See below.

So how about include a video (perhaps captured through vmware and then narrated) demonstrating these features (also shows Haiku's media kit working), or a text/pdf that explains what you can do with what is in the package.

I think you may have a different target in mind. This is meant to be a demo solution for community members who go on the road to introduce Haiku at conferences, shows, UG meetings, etc.. These people obviously have a degree of understanding and familiarity with the OS, attributes, queries, etc., so most of the stuff will be obvious to them. So for this particular case, a well-written concise README file should be more than enough to get them going.

That does not mean that creating videos about Haiku is a bad idea. But for this particular case, it is not really necessary IMO. :)

Which reminds me that there is a ticket open in Trac about creating a video of BFS live queries that I'm supposed to create. Ouch...

Cheers,

Koki