[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:09:23 -0400

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Jorge G. Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Karl vom Dorff wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Jorge G. Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:
>> kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>    Howdy,
>>
>>    I think there is a misunderstanding: we are not talking about a
>>    Haiku demo distro, image or CD.
>>
>>    We are talking about a demo package with certain (email, people,
>>    audio and video) files, and perhaps queries and apps, that can be
>>    useful for the purpose demoing Haiku at conferences/shows/ug
>>    meetings, to friends at home, or to colleagues at the office.
>>
>>    There is absolutely no need to create yet another Haiku
>>    image/distro just for this; a ZIP package with all the demo files
>>    that people can download to their existing Haiku installation is
>>    just fine.
>>
>>    Cheers,
>>
>>    Koki
>>

>> That's funny, you did answer the minute I sent my email :)
>>
>> Right, sorry for the misunderstanding! A demo disk image, gotcha.
>>

> No, not a demo disk image. All we need is a ZIP file that people can
> download to their Haiku installation (on real hw or vm, it does not matter),
> and expand wherever you want.
>
> As Francois noted, it could be possible to add this demo ZIP to the build
> system as an optional package, so that people can add it to their builds if
> they want to.
>
> Can we please now go back to discussing the specifics of the package
> itself? :)

Sure.

If you have mp3 files and people files with attributes in a zip file (for
example), it probably won't do any good unless people can read about how you
can take advantage of Haiku's file system to manipulate these files. While I
understand you may use this package in live demonstrations, you may also
have it as an optional package that anyone can download. So how about
include a video (perhaps captured through vmware and then narrated)
demonstrating these features (also shows Haiku's media kit working), or a
text/pdf that explains what you can do with what is in the package.

--
Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.karlvd.com