[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:12:44 -0700

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Coursière wrote:
As Haiku is presented in more and more events, maybe we should start something that could be called a "demonstration" kit.

When presenting Haiku on a booth, we often need some data to show some key features. What come in my mind are some people files and some E-mails to present attributes. Some free music and videos to show multimedia features...

There could be two or three parts in this kit :
- a zip file containing all files produced by the haiku community ready to unzip on a haiku image
- a list of links to get other resources (mainly multimedia files)
- and maybe a script to get all this in one command line.

What do you think about this ?

I actually have such a demo package that I created for myself and have been using extensively at various conferences. The package contains email messages, People files, mp3 and ogg files, and video files; I have also included several queries to demo OpenBFS, and some applications such as Vision, VLC, BePodder, Firefox, Army Knife, etc..

Unfortunately, the People and email files contain private info, and the media files are not shareable, so I would not be able to distribute this package.

As the frequency of Haiku exhibits at various conferences increases over time, this tool would come in very handy and would save a lot of time to those putting the effort into representing Haiku. So this is definitely a good idea, and it would be great if somebody could create such a demo package with files that can be freely distributed.

Here is a good opportunity for non-devs to make a difference. Anyone willing to step up to the plate?

Cheers,

Koki