[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:08:36 -0700

2008/6/23 Jorge G. Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>:
> As Francois noted, it could be possible to add this demo ZIP to the build
> system as an optional package, so that people can add it to their builds if
> they want to.

Yep, I basically do this (and I suspect a lot of other people who
build Haiku to real partitions do as well)...  I have several zip
files though based on how much stuff I want at any given time (and how
long I want to wait for it to uncompress at build time), and I
comment/uncomment them out in my UserBuildConfig as necessary.

> Can we please now go back to discussing the specifics of the package itself?

One of my zipfiles has an h264 version of Elephants Dream (mid-sized
version I believe) - this works pretty well in VLC.

I also have one full of HaikuPodCast MP3s and various Haiku-related
videos that I've grabbed (like the "Haiku Rocks" video) - these let me
test and mess with various audio/video streams simultaneously. Note -
I believe the MP3 codec (for use with Media player) only installs when
including GPL add-ons - otherwise it works in VLC anyway.

What I'm lacking is a bunch of Haiku-specific stuff like people files,
and MP3s with attributes, pre-built queries, etc... so, I would love
to get something like that put together that I could throw on my
images as I wish.

Some neat little sample programs would be great as well. Let's get a
list of would really demo well and can be built/included without
licensing restrictions?

Finally: No reason that this has to be one big package - could be
several optional packages depending on how heavy/light an individual
wants it to be.

- Urias