[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Ritrup Biswas <ritrup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:03:09 +0530

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In addition to the application, there are a few more issues that need
> to be sorted out.  I'd appreciate help with these.
>
> Cleaning up our ideas list:
> Basically adding more detail to each of the projects listed.
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#ideas
>
> What is an "Ideas" list?
>
> An "Ideas" list should be a list of suggested student projects. This
> list is meant to introduce contributors to your project's needs and to
> provide inspiration to would-be student applicants. It is useful to
> classify each idea as specifically as possible, e.g. "must know
> Python" or "easier project; good for a student with more limited
> experience with C++." If your organization plans to provide an
> application template, it would be good to include it on your Ideas
> list.
>
> Keep in mind that your Ideas list should be a starting point for
> student applications; we've heard from past mentoring organization
> participants that some of their best student projects are those that
> greatly expanded on a proposed idea or were blue-sky proposals not
> mentioned on the Ideas list at all.
> ---------------------
>
> A few notes on the mentoring organization application:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#org_app
>
> It is critical that it be obvious how students should reach you to
> discuss applying to your organization; plan to link this information
> from your "Ideas" list at the very least.
>
> ------------------
>
> Edit application to use Mentor's preferred addresses instead of gmail.com:
> ( this is something i could do later.  just wanted to send it out to
> see if anyone interprets it differently)
>
> The email addresses associated with the Google Account information
> provided during application process will be used as the primary mode
> of contact by Google throughout the program, e.g. the email address
> which we will use to subscribe you to the  GSoC mentors/admins-only
> mailing list.
>
> From a quick discussion in #gsoc,
> Regarding this quote from socghop.appspot.com---faqs#when_apply :"The
> email addresses associated with the Google Account information
> provided during application process..."    Does this imply that said
> email addresses must be of gmail.com or is any email address valid?
> <tlarsen> mmadia: You can create a Google Account with any valid email
> address.
> <mmadia> If they already have a gmail address, should that simply be
> used instead?
> <ojwb> if you're happy for the soc mail to go to it
>
> ------------------
>
> Hi
Just wanted to know is there any other way to help student for GSoC 09, like
we have done it in the past
> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc2008/students
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc2008/ideas

If there is something like that then can you please inform me, then i can
update it in the GSoC 09 flyer or I will have to put direct link to:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#ideas

Regards
Ritrup