[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:57:31 +0100

David McPaul schrieb:
On 2009-03-10, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In addition to the application, there are a few more issues that need
to be sorted out.  I'd appreciate help with these.

Cleaning up our ideas list:
Basically adding more detail to each of the projects listed.

Improve "ata" bus_manager (adding DMA and ATAPI support). -- I think
this is a good project for someone who is into the low level driver
development and has enormous benefit for haiku on modern hardware.

A quick test project for prospective applicants can be to add a switch
to bootman to change between ide and ata.

But you cannot simply add a switch there. This is way more involved than you think. Effectively, you would have to hack a kernel setting into the kernel to ignore certain modules and then make sure you got every place.

DriveSetup -- You mentioned previously that this is for hard drive
partitioning but it is also need for formatting a BFS partition so
Haiku can be installed.  Currently this is not working for me.  I
think this is a medium level project.

I've looked into this before and some of the stuff which is missing in the kernel is really not obvious. I tried to start with a clean drive, but there is already a problem, the Haiku kernel does not assign a disk system (Intel Partition Map?, EFI GUID?, Amiga Disk System?) to that. But most operations, like even getting the list of available disk systems in a user program, require a valid object hierarchy in the kernel. Personally, I don't regard it as critical for Alpha1 but it would be nice if someone finally tackled this for real. It must be done sometimes... :-) Maybe Ingo and I could both mentor this.

Best regards,
-Stephan