[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:03:46 +0100

David McPaul schrieb:
2009/3/10 Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
David McPaul schrieb:
On 2009-03-10, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In addition to the application, there are a few more issues that need
to be sorted out.  I'd appreciate help with these.

Cleaning up our ideas list:
Basically adding more detail to each of the projects listed.
Improve "ata" bus_manager (adding DMA and ATAPI support). -- I think
this is a good project for someone who is into the low level driver
development and has enormous benefit for haiku on modern hardware.

A quick test project for prospective applicants can be to add a switch
to bootman to change between ide and ata.
But you cannot simply add a switch there. This is way more involved than you
think. Effectively, you would have to hack a kernel setting into the kernel
to ignore certain modules and then make sure you got every place.

Really, I was just thinking that the 2 add-ons can just check for a
config setting and just return B_ERROR in identify

Yes, maybe that's indeed another possibility. But it gets more involved with regard to modifying this setting from the boot menu.

DriveSetup -- You mentioned previously that this is for hard drive
partitioning but it is also need for formatting a BFS partition so
Haiku can be installed.  Currently this is not working for me.  I
think this is a medium level project.
I've looked into this before and some of the stuff which is missing in the
kernel is really not obvious. I tried to start with a clean drive, but there
is already a problem, the Haiku kernel does not assign a disk system (Intel
Partition Map?, EFI GUID?, Amiga Disk System?) to that. But most operations,
like even getting the list of available disk systems in a user program,
require a valid object hierarchy in the kernel. Personally, I don't regard
it as critical for Alpha1 but it would be nice if someone finally tackled
this for real. It must be done sometimes... :-) Maybe Ingo and I could both
mentor this.

How do you initialise a partition as BFS?

The disk system has to be already established. Ie it needs to be Intel Partition Map, and the partition needs to exist. At least DriveSetup allows you to initializes whole drives, but then there is no disk system. The file system in this case starts at offset 0. No MBR or anything like that. Why initializing doesn't work in your particular case, I do not know.

Best regards,
-Stephan