[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:00:25 -0400

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> But isn't it much more important to get some general
> Media Kit encoding support going? Or come up with a once-and-for-all
> approach to codec support in general? I have been hesitant to look into it,
> but VLC is based on "libvlc.so", right? Maybe it's possible to make
> something like libvlc the basis for all things codec in the MediaKit. Or
> GStreamer or whatever. I don't know which one is nice. But otherwise we'll
> lag behind for ever.

Maybe I am just biased from all the trouble I have been having lately
with Ubuntu, but in general I would be very hesitant to borrow
anything media related from the Linux world. Though I suppose VLC is
pretty multi-platform now (hence why it includes EVERYTHING), even if
it started on Linux. I also don't mind mplayer. But I don't think I've
had much luck with GStreamer, and I think the Linux audio world has
always been a big mess. And ffmpeg has alway seemed pretty good.

In general I like the idea of the BeOS approach, where everything is
nice and separate and can be linked together, but the Media Kit always
seemed pretty complicated to me, much more than any other kit. But
maybe that is just the nature of multimedia.

> As such, I would focus the ideas more on our immediate needs and remove
> anything obviously unrealistic, such as "The OpenOffice Port". The more
> unrealistic ideas we have on that page, the less serious we come across.

I agree. I call those "wishful thinking" ideas. Plus many students may
be supremely overconfident in their abilities and may not understand
just how quick the summer will be over. Better not to tempt them with
unrealistic ideas.

Regards,
Ryan