[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:09:32 +0100

François Revol schrieb:
Generic S/PDIF support in media kit, ie not special cased by the
application -- I see this as just feed the audiio output from the
reader directly to SPDIF bypassing the decoder?  This should be
doable.

AC-3 encoding support -> S/PDIF, for 5.1 support to receivers in Media
Kit  -- This is either related to Media Encoding support and should
wait for that or is not required if we have S/PDIF such that AC3 files
will be interpretted properly by recievers.

For the record, OSS4 does support both S/PDIF ouputs and native AC3 streams (with some restrictions on the format though), so it could be used to test it before we have any native driver supporting them.
Though there are likely missing parts in the oss media node for those.

Unfortunately, it's non-trivial to add support for forwarding encoded formats to MediaPlayer. For what it's worth, I see a lot of missing stuff in the MediaKit that would have much higher priority to me.

Best regards,
-Stephan