[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Fredrik Ekdahl <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:28:22 +0100

2009/3/10 David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>:
> AC-3 encoding support -> S/PDIF, for 5.1 support to receivers in Media
> Kit  -- This is either related to Media Encoding support and should
> wait for that or is not required if we have S/PDIF such that AC3 files
> will be interpretted properly by recievers.

You're missing the point here. This is meant to support digital
multichannel output from formats other than AC-3, it would be mixed
with other audio also. This is needed because most receivers support
only AC-3 and DTS, and not FLAC, AAC, Vorbis etc.
Examples:
* Movies with 5.1 FLAC audio
* You're playing a game and want multichannel audio
* Playing Apple trailers which contain AAC audio
* Hearing your IM app beep when someone sends you a message while
watching a movie (not possible with S/PDIF pass-through from media
player)

--
/Fredrik Ekdahl