[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:05:13 +1100

On 2009-03-10, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In addition to the application, there are a few more issues that need
> to be sorted out.  I'd appreciate help with these.
>
> Cleaning up our ideas list:
> Basically adding more detail to each of the projects listed.

Improve "ata" bus_manager (adding DMA and ATAPI support). -- I think
this is a good project for someone who is into the low level driver
development and has enormous benefit for haiku on modern hardware.

A quick test project for prospective applicants can be to add a switch
to bootman to change between ide and ata.

DriveSetup -- You mentioned previously that this is for hard drive
partitioning but it is also need for formatting a BFS partition so
Haiku can be installed.  Currently this is not working for me.  I
think this is a medium level project.

Media Encoding support -- This is a big project to take on.  Perhaps
we should look at ways to break it down?  Thoughts?

Generic S/PDIF support in media kit, ie not special cased by the
application -- I see this as just feed the audiio output from the
reader directly to SPDIF bypassing the decoder?  This should be
doable.

AC-3 encoding support -> S/PDIF, for 5.1 support to receivers in Media
Kit  -- This is either related to Media Encoding support and should
wait for that or is not required if we have S/PDIF such that AC3 files
will be interpretted properly by recievers.

--
Cheers
David