[openbeos] Re: Checkins

  • From: "Nicholas A Hritsko" <hritskna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:02:58 -0500

        I don't usually post to this list but I have a couple of ideas to
keep in mind.  I know XML is really low on the totem pole but if you bear
with me for a moment I have some ideas that will retain both
functionalities.  I'm not sure how familiar many of you are with XSLT (and
XML Formatting Objects) but it allows you to take an XML document and
transform it into just about anything you want.  I have an O'Reilly book
that has some interesting examples of where they turn XML text into images,
3D OpenGL/VRML, etc.  Sorry I don't have the title with me.
        Anyway, the way I see it there could be three pieces to this puzzle.
First you would need an XML Schema for defining the format of all new
documentation.  Then, two XSLT transform templates.  One XSLT would convert
from XML to HTML as used in the below mentioned html doc files, and another
could convert to a text file which could be cat'd to be viewed similarly to
a man command.  In fact, you could probably use a shell script or very small
application to apply the XSLT whenever you type man.

Just some ideas to kick around,
Nick